Vim - the ubiquitous text editor
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and
changing any kind of text very efficient.
It is included as "vi" with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Vim is rock stable and is continuously being developed to become even better.
Among its features are:
- persistent, multi-level undo tree
- extensive plugin system
- support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- powerful search and replace
- integrates with many tools
is the current version
Vim 25 birthday presentation
On November 2nd I did a presentation about Vim at Google Zurich.
This is exactly 25 years since the first public version of Vim was
The presentation gives an overview of Vim history and highlights the
important choices that were made. With background information on
my personal life and what was the state of computing, the context in
which Vim was developed.
You can find it on Youtube.
Nice article about Vim on hostingadvice.com
Releasing version 8.0 and getting close to the 25th birthday inspired the writing of
It contains links to relevant info and can be used to convince a friend to start using Vim.
Happy 25th birthday!
Vim version 1.14 was the first public release of Vim, distributed on Fred Fish disk 591. The executable has the version information "Vi IMitation v1.14 (Nov 2 1991 0:36:35)". That is exactly 25 years ago.
Raise your glass to Vim! (Bram Moolenaar)
Vim: The power tool for everyone!
See pictures of Bram's latest visit to Uganda on
Read the visit report on the ICCF website.
| Recent Script Updates
|| 5,388 scripts, 11,598,333 downloads
|| vim-www : Toolbox to open & search URLs from vim
||(1.0.3) - Adds cygwin support
- Fixes URL escaping issues
- Revisits and centralizes shell escape and dispatching for all handlers
- Adds gitlab to the defaults - Marc Busqué Pérez
|| vtags : verdi like, verilog code signal trace and show topo script
||(1.23) fix a bug in Code.py line 465, need 'Source' but use source, if you open Debug mode may find this error. - Jun Cao
|| HyperList : Everything. Concise and precise. Outliner, organizer, brainstormer, project mgmt
||(2.3.5) Added the function Complexity() to give a complexity score for a HyperList - Geir Isene
|| vim-workspace : The Vim Workspace Manager.
||(1.6.1) Minor updates to omni completion:
- Have a better popup menu with completeopt settings (menuone,longest,preview)
- Should only close preview windows on InsertLeave and not immediately after a selection is made as the documentation can be a useful reference while completing a function. - Thaer Khawaja
|| better-whitespace : A better whitespace highlighter for Vim
- Support all unicode whitespace characters
- Per buffer enable/disable
- Verbose output option
- Do not clear all matches. Only clear this match group.
- Enable/disable across all windows
- Blacklist file types 'diff', 'gitcomment', 'unite', 'qf', 'help', 'markdown' by default
- Reset highlight group after color scheme changes
- Remove redundant autocommand events
- Nate Peterson
|more recent |
most downloaded |
The tips are located on the
Vim Tips wiki.
This is a platform to exchange tips and tricks from and for Vim users.
| Vim Tips