Vim - the ubiquitous text editor
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and
changing any kind of text very efficient.
It is included as "vi" with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Vim is rock stable and is continuously being developed to become even better.
Among its features are:
- persistent, multi-level undo tree
- extensive plugin system
- support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- powerful search and replace
- integrates with many tools
is the current version
Vim 25 birthday presentation
On November 2nd I did a presentation about Vim at Google Zurich.
This is exactly 25 years since the first public version of Vim was
The presentation gives an overview of Vim history and highlights the
important choices that were made. With background information on
my personal life and what was the state of computing, the context in
which Vim was developed.
You can find it on Youtube.
Nice article about Vim on hostingadvice.com
Releasing version 8.0 and getting close to the 25th birthday inspired the writing of
It contains links to relevant info and can be used to convince a friend to start using Vim.
Happy 25th birthday!
Vim version 1.14 was the first public release of Vim, distributed on Fred Fish disk 591. The executable has the version information "Vi IMitation v1.14 (Nov 2 1991 0:36:35)". That is exactly 25 years ago.
Raise your glass to Vim! (Bram Moolenaar)
Vim: The power tool for everyone!
See pictures of Bram's latest visit to Uganda on
Read the visit report on the ICCF website.
| Recent Script Updates
|| 5,389 scripts, 11,617,113 downloads
|| VOoM : Vim two-pane outliner
||(5.2) * Python 3 is now supported. New option g:voom_python_versions.
* New markup modes: latexDtx, fmr3, paragraphBlank, paragraphIndent, paragraphNoIndent.
* VOoM Python modules are now in directory ../autoload/voom/voom_vimplugin2657/ and are imported as a package. Custom markup modes must be placed there. Because directory structure has changed, previous VOoM version should be removed before insta... - Vlad Irnov
|| gtm-plugin.vim : Simple, seamless, lightweight time tracking for all your git projects
||(v1.0.7) Update gtm version constraint to gtm 1.2.5 and readme updates - Michael Schenk
|| Ferret : Enhanced multi-file search for Vim
||(1.4) - Drop broken support for `grep`, printing a prompt to install `rg`, `ag`, or
- If an `ack` executable is not found, search for `ack-grep`, which is the
name used on Debian-derived distros. - Greg Hurrell
|| vtags : verdi like, verilog code signal trace and show topo script
||(1.23) fix a bug in Code.py line 465, need 'Source' but use source, if you open Debug mode may find this error.
fix a bug in Base.py line 986, add i += 1 in while loop, if your code wrong and has endmodule without module define it will loop forever. - Jun Cao
|| vim-workspace : The Vim Workspace Manager.
||(1.6.2) - Last writer wins in workspaces: if multiple Vim sessions have the same files open at the same time, this ensures that there's no clobbering of data and files update seamlessly between the two instances.
- FocusGained and FocusLost will now trigger file autosave (and/or sync) when in/out of editor focus.
- Bug fix: fixed sporadic redraw issue coming from toggling a workspace off.
- Bug fix: ... - Thaer Khawaja
|more recent |
most downloaded |
The tips are located on the
Vim Tips wiki.
This is a platform to exchange tips and tricks from and for Vim users.
| Vim Tips